If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (831) 457-1997

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How to Avoid a Disaster During a Power Outage

11/12/2020 (Permalink)

Candle melted close to wick Use these best practices during power outages!

It’s important to prepare for and protect our Santa Cruz County homes, businesses and families during power outages as the winter months approach, as many hazards can go unnoticed.

Candles left unattended can quickly turn into a tragedy, possibly creating a structure fire. The safer option would be utilizing flashlights or other battery-operated lighting options that avoid the presence of an open flame. This means keep extra batteries on hand. If candles are your only option, it is vital to never leave the fire unattended and that the candle is placed in a fireproof holder stationed away from any flammable materials and or drafts.

Fire hazards are not the only disaster lurking during power outages. Carbon Monoxide poisoning from indoor grills or generators are also extremely dangerous. If these appliances are used in enclosed areas (including homes, garages or sheds), the outcome could be lethal. Carbon Monoxide gas can go unnoticed as it cannot be seen, smelled, nor tasted. A person may not realize they are being poisoned until it’s too late. It is essential to use these items exclusively outside in a well ventilated area and operated according to manufacturer’s instructions.

If you have experienced any fire, soot or property damage to your Santa Cruz County home or business, rest assured our experienced technicians and customer services representatives are here to help 24/7. Please call our office today (831) 457-1997.

Other News

View Recent Posts